An update. Haven't really been keeping with these, I was planning once a week but who cares, nobody reads these anyway.
Really it is more for my sake, it keeps a record of where I am, like just now I couldn't remember when I started this. So I looked here, first post was 23rd August, so I'm gonna take this as the beginning.
So I'm still eating plant based. I have lost a bit of weight, it is hard to tell how much because when I was binging on horrible animal flesh and purified carbs my weight would fluctuate quite a bit. But lets say I am now lighter by 3.5 kg.
Which is pretty good but whenever you start a diet (although this isn't really meant to be a diet) your weight decreases quite a bit to start with. I don't expect this rate to keep up, especially since I am actually eating quite a lot. Ad libitum is the technical term I believe.
I made a couple of exciting discoveries, I've tried beyond meat burger, it is delicious! I think I prefer it to meat burgers.
On the other hand, it is not especially healthy, high in saturated fat etc. etc. I don't think I will make it a routine meal. But it is good to know that there is something out there that I can use occasionally if I get the itch, and still say vegan.
My brother mentioned that burger king do a really nice vegan burger too, probably won't be trying that anytime soon.
But then I found this recipe for a black bean burger. I think it is based on serious eats. I really liked it!
I made some yesterday and ate it with boiled greek freekeh, I also added a quick salad of tomato and cucumber with a quick red wine vinegar and olive oil vinaigrette, and I absolutely loved it!
The burger does contain an egg and feta cheese, so it is failing a bit to be vegan, which I think is pretty good for plant based.
Freekeh is really good too! I bought a bag from Amazon, I got the Syrian rather than the Palestinian one, since Palestinian, which would have been my first choice, apparently had a lot of grit according to the reviews.
I saw stuff online that claimed freekeh was better than quinoa. Not sure if it is better, all these grains probably have their own slightly different nutrient profiles, so the best thing is to eat a variety.



No comments:
Post a Comment